lenten quinoa cakes
seek Him with your whole heart (Jer 29:13)
The Lord seeks a heart filled to overflowing with love for God and our neighbour; this is the throne on which He loves to sit and on which He appears in the fullness of His heavenly glory. ‘Son, give Me thy heart,’ He says, ‘and all the rest I Myself will add to thee (Prov. 23:26; Matt. 6:33),’ for in the human heart the Kingdom of God can be contained. The Lord commanded His disciples: Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things (Mat. 6:32,33).
Saint Seraphim of Sarov
Lenten Quinoa Cakes with Zucchini and Hummus
This recipe is adapted from a family favorite at Le Pain Quotidien cafe. The quinoa is a good source of protein during the fasting periods of the Liturgical year. Combined with whole wheat bread and hummus and you have all the amino acids, which means it is also a complete protein, and that is important to your health.
These cakes are kind like a burger served over hummus and topped with fresh avocado
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 fresh raw zucchini grated (can be any color – we used green)
- 1 small white onion, minced
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked and mashed coarsely (we use a potato masher)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (rinse your quinoa before cooking – quinoa can actually be bitter and rinsing it has the effect to remove that bitter quality)
- 1 tablespoon each resh oregano and thyme
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce for garnish (we use Victoria brand from Costco)
- fresh avocado for garnish
- fresh hummus
Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix all ingredients except hummus, marinara sauce, olive oil, and avocado in a bowl and mix to incorporate well.
Press the quinoa mixture into a loaf pan Really press it together because you want it to adhere to itself, since we will slice it and sautee it in a pan to finish it off.
Place in oven and cook for 45 minutes. It should be fragrant when it is done.
Once it is cooked you can either place in the refrigerator to use the next day or carefully slice pieces of the quinoa loaf and place on a heated seasoned cast iron skillet with olive oil. Cook on both sides until brown.
Serve over hummus and top with a few spoons of marinara sauce and avocado.
Goes great with a fresh green salad!
Enjoy and may your fasting be blessed.