souvlaki inspired Greek lettuce wraps
“Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday today and forever.” (Hebrews 13:8)
Souvlaki Inspired Greek Lettuce Wraps
For the past two weekends, Mark volunteered to help out at two different local Greek Festivals and we have been loving all the food. Lately though, we have been avoiding gluten. Our youngest daughter was diagnosed with gluten sensitivity so we have been modifying many meals out of solidarity with her. It is hard when only one person in a home must avoid a staple like bread and flour, so we do it with her. This souvlaki inspired Greek lettuce wrap is a fun and delicious dinner and gluten free.
For the Salad
- 1 pound chicken meat, cooked and shredded. It can be any part of the chicken. ( We use our leftovers from chicken stock.)
- 3 carrots, shredded with a vegetable peeler
- 1/2 cup chives or scallion, minced
- 1/3 cup shallot, minced
- 10 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped coarse
- 1/4 cup feta
- 1/2 cup cucumber, sliced very small (this is about 1/2 cucumber)
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and leaves pulled off of the lettuce head
For the Dresssing
- 1/4 teaspoons Real Salt Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoons Black Pepper, Ground
- 1 teaspoons Oregano, Dried, Leaves
- 2 teaspoons Garlic, Raw
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cups Olive Oil, Extra Virgin
For the salad dressing place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk well. Set aside.
If you have already cooked your chicken, take it off the bone, shredding it with a fork as you go. If you are using leftover chicken like we often do, then remove it from the refrigerator and place in a cast iron skillet over low heat. Slowly warm it until the chicken is heated through.
Place in a large mixing bowl and add all of the chopped vegetables, EXCEPT the romaine lettuce. Add in the salad dressing and toss to coat all ingredients.
Serve atop of the romaine lettuce leaves!
Now you have a delicious meal. YUM.