massaged kale salad
This Massaged Kale Salad is one of my favorites, especially when there are fresh strawberries in season at the market. Fresh picked strawberries are a sweet addition to the earthy kale and the citrus dressing. Kale is a superfood that deserves room on every plate. Most recipes for massaged kale salads call for green apples or other fruit, but I think the strawberries are the best. Massaging the kale in an olive oil, lemon and salt dressing has the effect of cooking the kale. The lemon also makes the iron content in the kale far more bioavailable (that means you absorb more!).
I hope you enjoy this kale salad!
Massaged Kale Salad with Farm Fresh Strawberries
- 1 bunch fresh kale, washed
- 1-1/2 cups fresh organic strawberries (from the farmer’s market is the best)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (expeller pressed)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- fresh juice of 1/2 lemon
- optional : 1/2 cucumber, cut into small cubes
- optional : 1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds, slivered almonds or pine nuts
- optional: 3 teaspoons fresh oregano or marjoram finely chopped
Gather your ingredients.
Stem and chop the kale. Place in large bowl and drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice and salt.
Massage kale gently with your hands for five to ten minutes.
Toss with the strawberries, onion and other optional ingredients (if using).